Saturday, March 20, 2010

Have you gotten yours yet????

Received in my mail this week, my
"OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY"
envelope.
'My Response is Required by Law'
states bold lettering on the front of the envelope.

After three days of laying on the bench in the garage, I decided that tonight would be the night I open the envelope and see what is so important to our government that my response is require by law.
Is there some great debate that cannot be finished without my input?
Is there some great crisis that cannot be solved without my input?
Is there some great decision that will have a lasting effect on future lives without my input?

It would appear that there is.....

Of course if I were so important to our government that my
"Response is Required by Law",
then I would think they would have addressed the envelope to me personally.
But NO, in typical government fashion the envelope came addressed
"To Resident At".....
Now I can overlook that considering how many people live in my house. All four of us. I guess it is a lot to ask of our government to know who I am and where I live. I've only been here 10 years, paid taxes on this property for those 10 years, and paid my annual tax from this residence for the past 10 years.
But they are busy, so I can forgive that oversight.
But then I opened the envelope to see what was so important to the sender that I am threatened by law to defile by failing to respond.
Page 1 sample question;
'Please provide information for each person living here.
Start with any adult livning here and this will be Person #1.'
Last Name?
First Name"
Sex?
Person 1's Date of Birth?
Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?
(of the five subquestions, not one asked me if I am an American)
What is Person 1's race?

Now I consider myself to be pretty open minded and willing to adapt to most situations. I understand that there are many complex aspets to our world that I could be better versed in. I know that there are many people that are required to make difficult, life affecting decisions every day. I know that there are reasons that our government needs to know how many people there are in our country.
BUT what I don't understand is why they require all this information about my sex, nationality, and origin.

I AM AN AMERICAN.
MY WIFE IS AN AMERICAN.
MY SON IS AN AMERICAN.
MY DAUGHTER IS AN AMERICAN.
Hell even the squirrels that dig in my yard are American.
THERE ARE FOUR AMERICANS THAT LIVE AT THIS ADDRESS.
WE ARE AMERICANS THAT WERE BORN IN THIS COUNTRY.
OUR PARENTS WERE BORN IN THIS COUNTRY.
THAT MAKES ALL FOUR OF US AMERICANS.


Since my maternal family is from Germany, should I state that I am German-American?
Not an option.
Since my faternal family is from England, should I state that I am English-American?
Not an option.
Why are these not an option on the questionaire?
All it seems the questionaire wants to know is if I am from
Spanish decent, or African decent.
I wonder why this is so?
Why is it so important to know this information?
What will happen to my response, that is required by law, if I answer with incorrect information?
Are the decisions that this questionaire request going to be used to benefit one member of society over another?
Seems to me they already know who I am, and what my nationality is.
Hell it states it on my driver's license.

Oh well, guess this is another example of our government at make work.
FDR would be proud.

1 comment:

Horse-farmer said...

Hey, I'll probably get sent to jail, I put a big X in black marker thru that question about being hispanic, and wrote
'AMERICAN' and on the second race question I again wrote "AMERICAN", and I didn't give them my name or my wifes name or anyone elses name, inretro I should have listed the horses and cows and residents too.
I'M AMERICAN and I hate the fact that I am "FIRST" bombarded with questions about being Hispanic.
WHY NOT AMERICAN FIRST

I am an AMERICAN and I am proud of it, I ain't nothing else.
ok off the bandwagon and on to the good old AMERICAN pasttime, Bristol is ready.
tom